The changes in the immune system of a body can cause psoriasis. In this health condition body's immunity system accidentally attacks the skin cells. Usually it takes 28 days for the process of formation of new skin cells but in psoriasis condition the immune system overreacts and triggers the formation of new skin cells in 3 to 6 days, thus removing the old skin cells in the from of flakes.
Immune cells called T cells produce a substance called cytokines which can cause itching and swelling.
There are various types of psoriasis.
1. Plaque Psoriasis also known as psoriasis vulgaris is the most common types of psoriasis. It is more observed at lower back, knees, elbows and scalp. This type can cause silvery white scales over the inflamed red skin.
2. Guttate Psoriasis is caused more in children and teens. Thighs, trunk, scalp, underarms can be affected with small red and pink spots on the skin in this type.
3. Inverse Psoriasis is usually caused around the breasts, armpits, genitals, armpits and buttocks. It might look like a red smooth shiny rash. Sweat can worsen this condition.
4. Pustular Psoriasis is appeared at a particular part or entire body with pus filled blisters. This is rare type of psoriasis which needs immediate medical treatment. Symptoms observed are fever chills, nausea, muscle weakness. Pregnancy, some types of medications, UV rays, infections can cause pustular psoriasis.
5. Erythrodermic Psoriasis is a serious type of skin disease that can cause severe itching, skin redness, burning, elevated heart beat and fluctuating body temperatures. It can occur all over the body. Medications, infections could cause Erythrodermic psoriasis.
6. Nail Psoriasis usually caused around nails. Symptoms like change of nail color, painful nails appear in this condition.
7. Psoriatic Arthritis condition is the combination of both psoriasis and joint inflammation (arthritis). The chances of getting Psoriatic Arthritis is high in patients who are suffering from psoriasis for over 10 years.
Treatment for Psoriasis (cure):
Psoriasis can be treated by medical specialist by various medications depending upon the type of psoriasis.
*** Article reviewed by a medical expert ***